Sunday, December 29, 2013

jack's cheesecake

My brother Jack loves cheesecake and I used to make cheesecake.  Until my kids started settling in the big city Jack's house was where I stayed when I needed to be in the city overnight.  One year when I was staying with him I brought him a portable mixer, a mixing bowl and a springform pan and my recipe for cheesecake.  I taught him how to make cheesecake and now when we get together for Christmas he brings cheesecake.  He makes a great cheesecake.  He is better at it than I am.  I still make cheesecake once in a while but it has become Jack's cheesecake now.


Jack's cheesecake is a New York style cheesecake with 32 ounces of cream cheese in it.  He prefers it unadorned but it is pretty good with a little caramel and chocolate syrup and a few nuts to make a turtle cheesecake or some fruit topping if that is what you prefer.

Jack's cheesecake

I cup graham cracker crumbs
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter melted
4 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp vanilla

Crust:  Combine cracker crumbs, 3 Tbsp sugar and melted butter.  Press into bottom of springform pan.  Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.  Cool. 

Filling: Combine cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and and flour mixing on medium speed with electric mixer until well blended.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Blend in the sour cream and the vanilla.  Pour over crust.  Bake at 450° for 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 250° and continue baking for 1 hour more.  Loosen cake from the rim of the pan .  Cool before removing the rim of the pan.  Top with can of cherry pie filling if desired.

Joining Foodie Friday

2 comments:

  1. I just pinned this! Yum...I am going to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete