Sunday, January 19, 2020

Blue cornmeal cornbread

Earlier this fall my sister had an interest in obtaining some blue cornmeal.  I don't recall what she was going to use it for but we ordered some online after not being able to find any locally or close by.  We split the cornmeal, each taking half.  I set about finding a recipe for cornbread and after trying a couple with less than exciting results I settled on this one which is parts of a couple other recipes.  It turned out pretty well.  It is not dry.  It is kind of fluffy.  It is kind of sweet, which is what I like.  I imagine for someone from the camp that does not like sweet cornbread could leave out the sugar.



Blue Cornbread


1 cup blue cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour 
5 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs 
1/4 cup oil  

Combine the dry ingredients.  Mix in the wet ingredients and  pour into a buttered cast iron skillet or a similarly sized baking pan.  Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Cool slightly and enjoy warm or cool completely and enjoy at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment