Thursday, January 1, 2015

pb dog cookies

I found this recipe on the internet for a peanut butter dog cookie and decided to give it a try.  Turns out our dogs love them.  I made them right before Christmas and we had lots of taste testers give them a thumbs up.  I sent some home with Honey and Indiana when they went home and then made some more so that I could send some home with Reese and Greta when they went home.  I also bagged up a few to send home with my daughter Caitlin to take to work.  She doesn't have any dogs that live with her but she has dogs that visit regularly at her work.  It is an architecture firm.  How cool is it that they have dogs that come to work. 

This time I made a triple batch and took a couple of pictures of the process.  Although the ingredients are the same I did alter the process a bit.  I used a mixer instead of a spoon to mix and I did not use a floured surface to roll out the dough but rolled it out on a sheet of parchment paper. 



Peanut butter dog cookies

(single recipe)

3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 1/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 325°.  In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the milk, egg and peanut butter and mix until well combined.  Combine the baking powder and flour and add in several additions.  It should make a stiff dough. Gather up a portion of dough, knead it into a ball and then roll it out so it is 1/4 inch thick   I used a round cookie cutter but any shape could be used or it could be cut into pieces with a pizza cutter.  Place the cut cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven.  Bake for 20 minutes, turn the cookies over and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Repeat the process with remaining dough in batches.  The original recipe suggested that they could be baked longer for a harder cookie or rolled a little thicker for a softer cookie but my 3 dogs and 4 visiting dogs seemed to like them just fine. 

Note:  Because I had tripled the recipe and had many cookies to bake I tried placing three pans in the oven at the same time.  I have a convection feature on my oven and three racks and I should be able to cook three racks at once but I found that the center pan did not bake as quickly as the others and were significantly softer when it was time to turn them over.  I rearranged the baking sheets so that the center one was placed on the bottom rack when they went back in and still ended up leaving the one pan in the oven a few extra minutes.  When I baked the next batch of pans I only used two sheets at a time.

I used a round cutter 1 1/2 inches in diameter

place close together as they don't spread

ready to turn over and bake longer


Adapted from this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment