Thursday, November 28, 2013

krumkake

My Grandma Alma always made krumkake but she called them scrollers. 


Krumkake is a Norwegian treat that is made flat on an iron and then quickly rolled into a scroll while still warm.   As they cool they set into a crisp tube.  My first krumkake iron was a metal one that sat on the stove.  A teaspoon of the batter was placed between two plates and when the plates were squeezed together they forced the dab of dough into a thin flat circle.  The plates were flipped to cook both sides and then the flat cookie was rolled around a slightly tapered wooden dowel until they cooled.



Now I have an electric krumkake iron that cooks two cookies side by side.  It works kind of like a waffle iron, the top and bottom heat so there is no flipping necessary.  And with two cookies at a time you are done twice as fast.



krumkake

3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour

Beat eggs and sugar until well mixed.  Stir in the melted butter and vanilla.  Beat in the flour until smooth.  Bake on heated iron, 15-20 seconds per side for conventional iron, until slightly browned on electric iron.  Immediately shape around a wooden dowel until cool and set.

2 comments:

  1. Finally! Someone else calls them "scrolls" like we do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda, sorry to have not responded sooner to your comment. I am trying to catch up. Yes, my grandma always called them scrollers and I am not sure when it was that I learned that they had another name. Maybe when I got my own iron. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete